Swiss chocolate cake, also known as “Sachertorte,” is a classic dessert that originated in Austria. This rich and decadent cake is made with layers of moist chocolate cake and smooth, velvety chocolate ganache, all finished with a glossy chocolate glaze. The unique feature of Swiss chocolate cake is the use of apricot jam in the filling, which adds a fruity and slightly tart flavor that perfectly balances the richness of the chocolate.
While the original recipe can be quite involved, there are many variations of Swiss chocolate cake that are easier to make at home. With the right ingredients and a bit of patience, you can recreate this delicious and iconic dessert in your own kitchen. Whether you’re serving it at a special occasion or just indulging in a sweet treat, Swiss chocolate cake is sure to satisfy your chocolate cravings and impress your guests.
- 200g all-purpose flour
- 200g granulated sugar
- 75g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup hot coffee
For the chocolate ganache:
- 200g semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and flour a 9-inch (23cm) round cake pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until combined.
- Add the eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla extract to the bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until well combined, about 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the hot coffee into the batter and stir until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then remove it from the pan and let it cool completely on a wire rack.
- While the cake is cooling, make the chocolate ganache. In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave the chocolate chips and heavy cream in 30-second intervals, stirring after each interval until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Pour the chocolate ganache over the top of the cooled cake, spreading it evenly with a spatula.
- Serve the cake at room temperature and enjoy your delicious Swiss chocolate cake!
I hope this recipe turns out great for you!