Topping (for the bottom of the pan):
– ⅔ cup packed brown sugar
– 5 tbsp salted butter melted
– 3 bananas sliced into ⅓ inch slices
– 1 ½ cups all-purpose flou
– ½ tsp baking soda
– 1 tsp baking powder
– Pinch salt
– 1 tsp ground cinnamon
– ¾ cup brown sugar
– ¼ cup granulated sugar
– 3 medium bananas, mashed (about 1 ¼ cup)
– ½ cup buttermilk
– 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
– ⅓ cup oil
– 2 eggs
– Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease 9 x 2 inch round cake pan. The pan must be 8 cups volume (cake will overflow 8 x 8 x 1 ½ inch square pan, it has only 6 cup volume
TOPPING (for the bottom of the pan):
– Combine brown sugar and butter in a bowl. Stir together and then pour into the round cake pan. Spread out evenly with a rubber spatula.
Place banana slices directly on top of the butter and sugar mixture.
– In a separate mixing bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, pinch of salt, and ground cinnamon. Whisk to combine.
– In another separate mixing bowl add brown sugar, sugar, mashed banana, buttermilk, vanilla extract, oil, and eggs. Use a hand mixer to beat and combine.
– Add ½ of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and use a spoon to start incorporating.
– Add the remaining dry ingredients and completely incorporate until no white streaks of flour remain.
– Don’t over-mix the batter or your cake will be tough and rubbery.
– Pour batter over the top of the sliced bananas. Spread evenly in the pan.
– Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes. Check with a toothpick to make sure the cake is done in the middle and the toothpick is clean when checked. Cook for an additional 3 minutes, or until the toothpick comes clean.
– Let cool in the pan for 5 – 7 minutes. Place a large serving dish on the top of the pan and flip the cake over so that the bananas are on the top of the cake on the serving plate.
– Serve warm and enjoy!